Spiced red lentil and root vegetable thick soup
October 24, 2018, Lucinda Munchy
Nothing beats a warm bowl of soup on a cold autumn day. This delicious, thick and lightly spiced soup is made with simple, healthy ingredients and perfect for Halloween and Bonfire Night. Serve for lunch or dinner with warm crusty bread.
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 large carrots
- 3 large parsnips
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 150 g (3/4 cup) red lentils
- 400 ml/14oz can coconut milk
- 750 ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
- couple of sprigs fresh thyme
- small handful of fresh coriander
- Mega Omega Munchy Seeds
- Peel and finely chop the onion; peel and crush the garlic; peel and dice the carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently for about five minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic and the rest of the vegetables to the pan along with the spices. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another five minutes.
- Rinse the red lentils and add to the pan along with the coconut milk and your vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and leave to cook, stirring every now and again, for 20-30 minutes until all of the vegetables and the lentils are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Strip the leaves from the thyme and roughly chop the coriander, add to the pan along with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a stick blender to blend the soup until it is completely smooth.
- Optional – Add a tiny bit of coconut cream swirled in with some coriander and Mega Omega seeds sprinkled on top.