Seeded Lentil & Cranberry Stuffing Balls From Nordic Kitchen Stories
December 7, 2021, Sally Dorling
A festive food highlight – Christmas Stuffing. It’s making our mouths water just thinking about it. See how to use some of our savoury Mild Chilli seeds to make delicious vegan stuffing balls that will go perfectly with your Christmas turkey or vegetarian and vegan dishes in this great recipe from our friend Louise of the inspiring Nordic Kitchen Stories. Wait until you try them cold too on Boxing Day. Yum!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs + 2tbsps for rolling
- 40g Mild Chilli Munchy Seeds + 2 tbsps for rolling
- 25g dried cranberries, chopped
- 100g cooked green lentils (or 50g dried, simmer in boiling water with a bay leaf for 15 mins)
- 1 egg, beaten (or 1 tsp chia seeds soaked in 1.5 tbsps water)
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 20g butter or plant based alternative
Preheat the oven 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
Begin by placing the finely chopped onion & thyme in a saucepan with 2 tbsps of olive oil & butter. Sauté for 5 -6 minutes until really soft & translucent on a medium-low heat. Now add the garlic & cranberries, sauté for a further 2 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
Place the breadcrumbs in a medium bowl with the cooked lentils, chopped parsley, munchy seeds & lemon zest. Tip the cooled onion into the bowl & give it a good stir. Season with a little salt & pepper. Now add the beaten egg & stir again. Divide the mixture into 12 balls. Combine the remaining seeds & breadcrumbs then roll the stuffing balls to coat with the mixture.
Put the stuffing balls in a greased baking dish, then drizzle with a little oil. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden.