Oat & Quinoa Porridge with Caramelised Maple Apple Slices
January 4, 2021, Lucinda Munchy
It’s long been known how important a good breakfast is to kick-off the day. It provides energy and focus and, we just love waking up hungry to this fabulous vegan porridge created for us by @nordickitchenstories.
This recipe serves 2, but you can adjust accordingly. You can also find out a bit more about some of the amazing facts around Veganuary in our special blog here.
- 50g jumbo oats
- 50g quinoa, white
- 250ml plant based milk
- 250ml water
- 1.5 tbls Maple syrup
- 1 dessert apple (a great way to get your ‘apple a day’)
- Some of our scrummy Warm Cinnamon seeds
- Begin by putting the oats and quinoa into a saucepan with the water and 100ml of mylk. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat to simmer for approximately 12-15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- In the meantime prepare the apple. Slice very finely, starting at the core end, so you have pretty circular discs of apple. Place into a hot non stick frying pan with a tsp of sunflower oil and cook for several minutes until it softens. Drizzle over the maple syrup and cook for a few minutes longer or until the apples start to caramelise. Set to one side.
- Pour the remaining mylk into the porridge mixture and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
- Pour the porridge into two bowls and top with the apples serve with a little extra milk and scatter your warm cinnamon Munchy seeds.