Healthy Chocolate Balls
January 6, 2021, Lucinda Munchy
Did someone say ‘CHOCOLATE’?…. Yes … and SALTED CARAMEL SEEDS!
This divine combination from @nordickitchenstories is not only a truly scrumptious vegan snack, they are super easy to prepare and truly satisfy any sweet craving. We call them our ‘healthy chocolate balls’ because we focus on the benefits from the dark cacao, the dates, the chickpeas and our roasted seeds. The perfect energy boost at any time of the day and a great way to refuel post workout.
In case you’re interested in the nutritive benefits of the pumpkin seeds in this mix please read our ‘Let’s Talk About Pumpkin Seeds’ blog here.
Now to the nitty gritty … how to pull these beauties together.
Makes approx. 19 balls
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 210g chickpeas (cooked or from a can)
- 150g soft dates, stoned
- 20g coconut oil
- 1.5 tbsps cacao
- Our salted caramel seeds
- In a food processor add the stoned dates, chickpeas, coconut oil and cacao. Process until you have a smooth dough. You may have to scrape down the sides of the processor several times to make sure that all the ingredients have minced.
- Tip into a large mixing bowl. With your hand bring the mixture together to make sure all the ingredients are evenly distributed. It should be slightly sticky.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons of the dough and roll into balls. Set aside as you go. Roll into approximately 20g balls.
- Place the Salted Caramel Seeds in a shallow bowl. Roll the balls in the seeds to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Best brought slightly back to room temperature before eating.
- The chocolate balls will keep for a week, refrigerated in an airtight container. If you can keep them that long!