Chargrilled Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
Autumn calls for warming food and what better way to warm up than with a lovely bowl of soup. This chargrilled red pepper and tomato soup makes the prefect portable lunch for those freezing ofﬁce days. Just don’t forget to top it with a good dose of Sesame sprinkles. The pumpkin and sunﬂower seeds are full of zinc, which according to research studies, is a much needed nutrient to stave of that pesky cold.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 peppers (ideally red, orange or yellow)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
500ml vegetable stock
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic
Finely chopped 1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon of coconut oil or butter
Sea salt and black pepper
Sesame Sprinkles to service
Natural yogurt and fresh parsley to serve (optional)
- To chargrill the peppers, preheat a grill. Chop the peppers by slicing them length ways down all 4 sides. This should produce 4 flat pieces. Cut the bottom and top off to form a further two flat pieces. Put the pepper pieces on a baking sheet, skin side up and grill until the skin has blackened and blistered. The idea is to char the skin but not to burn the peppers. This step sweetens the peppers slightly so don’t skip it.
- Allow the peppers to cool then peel off and discarc the charred skin.
- Heat the coconut oil or butter over a meduim head, add the chopped onions and cook until softened (5-10 minutes). Add the garlic, season the mixture well with black pepper and sea salt and cook for a futher minute.
- Stir in the chopped tomato, add the pepper pieces and vegetable stock, stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low/meduim and cook the soup for 20-30 minutes until it reduces in volume somewhat. Take the soup off the heat, season again with black pepper and sea salt and blend using a stick blender.
- To serve, divide the soup between two bowls, top with a swirl of yoghurt, some torn parsely and a handful of Sesame Sprinkles.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Eva Humphries, The Wholefood Warrior follow her @wholefwarrior or check out her Instagram @wholefoodwarrior.
Happy Munching!! x